Top 5 Wrinkle Busters
As we age, lines and wrinkles are inevitable. Fortunately, there are multiple easy ways to help improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles or to significantly delay their development.
- Moisturize: By far, the most important thing you can do to improve the look of your skin and help ward off wrinkles is to moisturize – morning and night. A high -quality moisturizer will help plump fine lines, smoothing your complexion and keeping your skin from drying out.
- Hydrate: Skin naturally contains water, which functions as a protective barrier. As we age, that natural moisture diminishes, leaving your skin looking dry and wrinkled. Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin properly hydrated, plumped, and smooth. And using a moisturizer, as recommended above, creates a physical barrier to lock moisture in.
- Kick the Habit: Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol are two major wrinkle-inducers. In fact, one recent study showed that facial wrinkles can appear in smokers as young as 20 years old. Nixing your smoking habit can help reduce the damage to an extent, but long -term smoking will cause deep wrinkles and a leathery look to your skin. Alcohol is known to dehydrate the skin. Add the salt in some drinks like beer or margaritas, and sugar in sweet drinks like mojitos, and the drying effects on your skin are multiplied.
- Shun the Sun: The single biggest threat to skin is exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. This causes photo-aging, which is to blame for most wrinkles. Staying in the shade, wearing protective clothing, and, above all, wearing a high-SPF sun-blocking moisturizer will protect your skin from not only wrinkles, but also skin cancer.
- Get Your Beauty Rest: Inadequate sleep causes your body to release more of the stress hormone cortisol, which can break down skin collagen, the protein that helps keep your skin smooth and elastic. It also limits natural production of human growth hormone, which promotes growth, thickens skin, and increases muscle mass.